‘Gentlemen, we’ve got to keep them calm’: NSW police officer charged with assaulting man

Police officers from NSW’s Metropolitan Police have been charged with assault after a man allegedly assaulted a police officer at a local shopping centre.

The man, aged in his 20s, was charged with three counts of assault occasioning actual bodily harm and three counts assault occasioned actual bodily damage, a NSW Police Union spokesperson said.

The alleged victim was treated at hospital with minor injuries and a statement released by the Metropolitan Police said he was not believed to be the intended victim.

“We are aware of an incident in the NSW town of Port Stephens in which a male had been assaulted by a police service member,” the statement said.

“The incident is being investigated and no further details will be released at this stage.”

This is an ongoing police matter and we ask the community to respect the police’s procedures and protocols.

“Police in NSW said in a statement on Thursday that the alleged victim had been “in contact with police and was being supported by the Met’s Professional Standards Unit”.”

We would like to reassure the public that the incident is under investigation and the police are currently working to establish a statement of facts and an appropriate response to this matter,” the spokesperson said in the statement.”

Anyone with any information regarding the incident or the alleged assault can contact police on 1800 333 000.

“Topics:police,crime,victim-blaming,law-crime-and-justice,crime-prevention,sussexFirst posted January 26, 2018 12:04:14More stories from New South Wales